Pastorale Variée, Opus 30 (1894)
Gabriel Pierné (1863 – 1937)
SATB Saxophone Quartet
Pastorale Variée dans le style ancienne, by Gabriel Pierné, Opus 30 (1894), arranged for SATB Saxophone Quartet. Gabriel Pierné wrote Pastorale Variée in the form of introduction, theme, and 5 variations or doubles. As the subtitle indicates, it is composed “in the old style” – a sort of neoclassic nod to the Baroque and Rococo periods. The movements are as follows:
- Tema in Canone
- 1st Double: Scherzosamente
- 2nd Double: Tempo di minuetto
- 3rd Double: Tourbillon (un pochettino piú animato) [Whirlwind (a little more animated)]
- 4th Double: Alla siciliana
- 5th Double: Allegro maestoso
Originally written for chamber winds, this piece was also published for piano to take advantage of the popularity of “salon music” craze of the time. This transcription is for Saxophone Quartet SATB. Most of the movements are straightforward and of moderate difficulty. However, the third double “Tourbillon” (Whirlwind) is certain to present a challenge to most soprano and alto sax players as they trade long, twisting phrases in 16th note triplets.
- The range for each saxophone part is shown below.
- Audio and score excerpts are available above.
- Registered users can download a complete sample score and full length audio file of Pastorale Variée on the ‘Samples’ tab.
There are no reviews yet.