Four Gregorian Melodies, Op. 74, No. 2 (1919)
Vincent D’Indy (1851 – 1931)
S/AATB Saxophone Quartet
Four Gregorian Melodies, by Vincent D’Indy, arranged for Saxophone Quartet S/AATB. Four Gregorian Melodies is the second section of a set of piano pieces by D’Indy titled “For Children of All Ages”. Each of the four very brief movements is based on a different Gregorian mode. The first and last movements are slow and contemplative while the two middle movements are more lively. The movements are as follows:
- Lent et religieux (Slow & religiously), (Dorian)
- Avec allegress (With joy), (Phrygian)
- Joyeusement (Joyfully), (Lydian)
- Lent et tres expressif (Slow and very expressive), (Mixolydian)
This arrangement is for SATB or AATB saxophone quartet.
- The range for each saxophone part is shown below.
- Audio and score excerpts are available above.
- Registered users can download a complete sample score and full length audio file of Four Gregorian Melodies on the ‘Samples’ tab.
Another section of “For Children of All Ages”, Les Danses is available here as a S/AATB sax quartet.